Thursday, December 15, 2011

CAN U REALLY LOSE BELLY FAT???? YES...U...CAN!

Hi Fitness Friends!  So I've just had another one of my fantastic workouts, FITNESS IS FUN!  And after doing 65 minutes on my elliptical while doing various kettle bell exercises for 30 minutes of that cardio, followed by crazy abdominal work and wonderful stretching, I'm feeling pretty darn good AND energized to take on another beautiful day with my son Pry'nce.

Today's blog topic is one that I've had a lot of blog followers along with Moms in general ask me if it's possible...can you REALLY lose belly fat?  Well my friends, that answer is YES!  I will say that after being in this fitness industry as long as I have, it's nice to be able to relate to Moms out there who used to tell me when I would train them "well Famisha, YOU would never understand what it feels like to have belly fat because you've never had a child...you'll see it's much different once you have a child to get your abs tight again or to have a flat stomach..."  Well, to those past clients I say guess what?!  I DO UNDERSTAND because I have had a child and know how your body can change once you bring a life into the world.

The best feeling in the world (besides bringing another life into this world that you helped create) is getting back into ALL of your pre-pregnancy clothes and even having some of your way over-priced designer jeans that you just HAD to buy (hence my stack of Diesel, Miss Sixty and Joe jeans in my closet) before your first child be even a bit BIG on you!  Listen up girls...it can AND will happen to you too!

There isn't a big secret that I'm going to share with you today on losing belly fat after having a kid(s).  I'm just going to keep it real with you on the very simple trick it takes to lose that belly fat and that is #1, PROPER FOOD INTAKE...#2, WATCH YOUR EMPTY CALORIES (do you really need to average 6 beers on a Friday night and 3-4 martinis on a Saturday night)... or soda with all those bubbles just helping your stomach poof out and stick out even more like a muffin top over your jeans...#3, CARDIO (you've gotta move!!) and #4 VARIOUS CORE EXERCISES (ie:  planks, planks and MORE planks!!).

Here's the deal, if you really want to get back to your pre-pregnancy size OR if you're not a mom but find yourself using the excuse of being in your 30s the reason for why your weight gain just continues to happen each year because "you know how it is Famisha, your metabolism slows down once you hit your 30s."  Well, yes I do know that once you hit your 30s you no longer have the metabolism of a 20 year old but let me tell you, myself and a lot of my other Fitness Freak gym moms in our 30s have a kid(s) and look even better than we did in our 20s!  Some even look much better now in their 40s...and you know why?  Because it's become a lifestyle to MOVE...MOVE..MOVE!

Okay, enough of what sounds like a lecture.  Let me break down my TOP 5 BELLY FLATTENING MUST-DO EXERCISES:  #1, Prone-iso Abs, also known as a Plank.  Lift yourself up on your forearms with your toes up and your body straight.  Engage your abs...meaning act as though there is a string attached to your belly button and is being pulled to your spine, squeeze your glutes (butt) and hold this in the beginning for 10 seconds eventually working your way up to 60 seconds at one time.  If you've never done this before, do the modified version on your knees keeping your back nice and straight, enjoy! 

#2, ENGAGE YOUR ABS...stop right now!  How are you sitting?  Sit up tall, roll your shoulders back and pull your belly button towards your spine.  Do this while driving your car, working at your computer, standing in line at the grocery store...do it! 

#3, Physio Ball Crunches.  I love these!  Not only do they work the abs...they strengthen your back too!  Lay back on the ball with your feet gently supported by the wall and the ball at your mid-back, gently support your neck and crunch up...do 3 sets of 15 reps eventually working it up to 3 sets of 30. 

#4, Side Planks...this WILL shrink your waistline more than you know!  Gently lay on your side, stack your legs on top of one another and gently lift your hip up while resting on your forearm...roll your shoulder back and hold this for 10 seconds...eventually working up to 60 seconds.  Modified is keeping your bottom leg on the floor while lifting your top leg up, do BOTH sides! 

Finally, #5 is good old-fashioned bicycles.  Lay on your back with your hands gently behind your neck and twist your body with your right elbow touching your left knee (the lower your opposite leg is to the ground, the harder your working, but know it's okay to have your leg high in the beginning) keep switching elbow to knee and do 3 sets of 15 reps...working your way up to 3 sets of 30.  FLAT ABS HERE YOU COME!

Now remember, you must get in NO LESS than 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise as well to help shed the layers of fat.  Trust me EVERYONE has a tight, tone stomach just dying to get out, so start these exercises TODAY!  And watch your empty calories...drink 5 to 6 glasses of water a day.  Have fun watching the new flat, tone tummy come out in time for the New Year or before the Spring...depends on how HARD YOU WORK!

Today's video blog will be the FINAL ONE of the year...this will be ending our 2011 Season of Fitness is Fun with your Kids videos on Youtube but we will be returning after the NEW YEAR!  Today's blog is about the importance of stretching and gives you some stretching tips that you can do from the privacy of your home along with your kid(s).  So grab a seat on the floor with your kid(s) or by yourself and STRETCH...enjoy! :-)
Hope you've enjoyed today's fitness blog and video!  Join TODAY as a follower, if you haven't done so yet.  Have a fabulously  fit day!

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I no longer teach professionally but I spent 10 years in the fitness industry; teaching kickbox and corefitness in the communiy colleges--still love to make healthy choices and stay fit myself...totally agree with your recommendations here! My favorite ab exercises are the forward and side planks--perfect for this busy wife and mom of 3. Looking forward to gleaning from more of your inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! Thanks for the positive feedback and I'm glad you like my Top 5 ab exercises! Thanks again for taking the time to read my blog and feel free to continue to share any comments or questions you may have. Happy Holidays!
    Stay Fit and Happy!
    Famisha :-)

    ReplyDelete