Thursday, May 17, 2012

Modifying exercises...you CAN still get a great workout!

Good morning friends!  Hope you are all having an absolutely happy, healthy one so far!  I just had the best weight training session!  I tell you the best way to accomplish a LEAN and TONE body is to incorporate a weight resistance program into your fitness routine...plus you feel so powerful afterwards!  At least I do...

So today's blog is a question one of my awesome followers asked me which was to please describe MODIFIED versions of exercises.  Now I don't want to bore you today by explaining how EVERY single exercise that exists out there can be modified so I'm going to choose my TOP 3 Exercises.  If you still have questions about an exercise that I didn't mention today, then please shoot me a question and I'll answer how to modify it for you.  That's what I'm here for!

Okay...Exercise #1...Push-ups!  If I hear one more female client say to me "I can't do MEN PUSH-UPS!"  I just may scream!  Okay, well I talk so loud most of the time so my client probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in my response.  There is no such thing as a "male" push-up and a "female" push-up.  One is a FULL EXTENSION push-up and the other is a MODIFIED push-up.  So the modified version since that's what I'm speaking on today is to put your knees down on the floor keeping everything straight (definitely don't cross your ankles) and bring your hands out to a wide grip and bring yourself all the way down keeping your neck straight as you push up EXHALE.  If you practice this 3 times a week starting off with 10 reps moving up to 20 to 30 reps, you will be on your way to Full Extension in no time!

Exercise #2...Prone-iso Abs (also known as the PLANK).  Forearms on the floor with your hands in blades (relax, there is no need to clinch your fists!) and once again stay on your knees keeping everything straight...not crossing your ankles and gently bring your body up.  Push your body up from your shoulders and keeping your neck straight, ENGAGE your abdominals (act as though there is a string attached to your belly button and pull it towards your spine) and breathing hold this position.  A plank is the BEST way to wittle that waistline down, tightening and toning your abs.  Start off holding this position for 10 seconds working your way eventenually up to 60 seconds...you can do it!

Exercise #3...Lunges....I LOVE LUNGES!  Facing a railing, bannister, or counter top, roll your shoulders back so that you have good posture.  Engaging your abs, gently bring one leg behind you and bring your foot up on your toes with your knee bent on your back leg and with your front leg, bend your knee and be sure that your knee does NOT go over your toes.  Keep your front foot flat (dropping to a 90 degree angle).  After you bend your front knee, stand back up nice and tall.  As you bend your front knee and back leg...EXHALE, inhale as you stand back up.  Try doing 10 reps on each leg.  By holding onto something, this will help you with your balance and get you used to how a lunge feels.  Eventually work yourself up to 20 to 30 reps and prepare yourself for inches LOST and tighter, toner legs!  AND...a lifted glute (butt!!)  To that I say....YOU'RE WELCOME!  ;-)

As most of you who know me can see, I named my FAVORITE 3 EXERCISES today!  By learning how to do these in modified positions, you will find yourself on your way to a toned and sculpted chest, back, arms, mid-section AND legs!  Get ready for Summer my friends!!

Thanks as always for reading my fitness blog and feel free to share this with your friends if you enjoy it!  As I mentioned last week, I will now be showcasing ONE "Fitness is Fun with your Kids!" video a month on me and my son Pry'nce favorite exercise(s) of the month.  You can find the videos on Youtube by searching Fitness is Fun with your kids!  If you haven't joined my blog yet as a follower, do so TODAY.  Have a very HAPPY and HEALTHY week my friends!!

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment