Thursday, March 28, 2013

Hitting a PLATEAU...

Good morning friends!  Today I am going to speak on something that I'm sure each and everyone of you have experienced at one time or another during your fitness journey.  A blog follower has asked that I speak about what to do when you hit that dreadful plateau.  Well, it's actually very simple...

First, take a look at your last 3 weeks.  How has your diet been?  Now I don't mean an actual "diet," I mean your food intake.  Have you been eating 5 to 6 servings of fruits/veggies?  Have you been LOGGING what you're taking into your body for fuel...including a bite here and there of what you are making for your kid(s) to eat?  The stick of gum you popped in?  Your water intake?  64 ounces MINIMUM...  If you answered NO to this (then you are obviously being HONEST) and need to start TODAY logging everything that you eat. 

Did you eat breakfast today?  Look, I know you've been hearing this all your life; but it's TRUE.  This is the most IMPORTANT meal of the day!  I don't mean that cup or 2 or 3 of coffee/frapuccino that you drank this morning, I mean FUEL.  I hear people say all the time "I don't like breakfast!"  Well, then I guess RESULTS aren't that important to YOU.  Breakfast can be something as simple as a half a banana, a scoop of peanut butter, a handful of grapes, apple slices, a piece of whole wheat 100% grain toast, a grapefruit, ETC...ETC...  But you must have FUEL.  One last thing about food, MIX IT UP!  When some of my clients turn in their food logs, I can guess what I'm going to see on their food plans.  I don't care how "picky" of an eater that you are, there are way too many foods out there for you to keep eating the exact same thing EVERY DAY and EVERY WEEK.  Switch it up!

Now that I've got the food thang out of the way, let's talk about your workouts.  You need to switch up your CARDIO every 3 weeks.  It's true what us Fitness Professionals say...MUSCLES HAVE A MEMORY.  If you don't mix up your cardio and keep it at the exact same every time you perform it, you're likely to hit a plateau.  Check out last week's blog entry about my top 5 Treadmill exercises.  If you LOVE the treadmill, mix up your routine with the examples I gave you last week.  MIX.IT.UP!

Also, add weight training to your program if you haven't already started.  The BEST way to see the quickest RESULTS and see your body actually TRANSFORM is when you add weight training to your program.  One thing I pride myself in as a Successful Trainer is getting my clients RESULTS and a body that they never imagined they would have.  They don't get BIG and BULKY...they get LEAN and SCULPTED beautifully.  I also combine Boxing, TRX along with weight resistance training...you have to mix it up!  I don't mean to sound like a broken record...but you do!  If you usually go to the same weight machines at the gym...try free weights next time....MIX IT UP!!

So today, instead of setting your cardio to the usual resistance and distance increase the resistance.  Push yourself a bit farther.  In between do some Jumping jacks, Push ups, Squats, Lunges...but MIX.IT.UP!  Going on a walk this morning (why not it's gorgeous today...if you live in AZ), this afternoon or evening?  Jog in between, pick up your pace and speed walk down one block, or high knee it...try something NEW.

Hope this helps you get past that plateau...if you live in the East Valley in Arizona.  I want to invite you to attend one of my RESULTS BASED BOOTCAMPS.  They are welcome to EVERY fitness level from beginner to advanced.  Since I am Nationally Certified with credentials to help those with special conditions, I can show different attendees modifications so you get the most out of your workout.  It's full body and a great workout!  If I say so myself! ;-)  For more details, go to my website www.glistengirlsfitness.com and click on Services, then Bootcamp.  I hope to see you there!

Thanks for taking the time to read today's blog and feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have.  I'm off to my usual Hot Yoga class...NAMASTE...

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment