Thursday, March 1, 2012

HEALTHY SNACKS ON THE GO!

Good afternoon!  Today's blog is on a topic that one of my amazing blog followers has asked me to speak on which is "what am I supposed to eat when I'm on-the-go so much?!"  Well, from one busy mom to many more of you busy moms, dads, and fitness friends in general, I know how easy it is to take care of everyone else EXCEPT for yourself.  Why is it so easy to make sure you feed your kid(s) nutritious breakfast, lunch and dinner before realizing what is that I hear....oh, it's MY stomach.  It's your stomach alright, telling you off for not feeding it!

Here's the deal, as I'm sure most of you moms/dads like myself do...you always have your purse/bag filled with snacks for any "emergency" situation that may arise where you are stuck in a line longer than you wish to be and your kid(s) start tugging on you saying "Mommy/Daddy, I'm HUNNNNGGGRRYYY" and you proudly reach into your purse/bag and grab out in my case a Nutrigrain bar (my son LOVES those things), or a small box of raisins, small baggie of Fruit snacks and a water bottle filled with ice cold water.  Oh yeah, I've got it covered when it comes to those "Emergency" food/snack situations for my child.

But what about YOU???!  Well, here's some quick snack suggestions to throw into your purse/bag for yourself so you don't find yourself fighting over the box of raisins with your kid(s), thus causing a scene!  Here you go...bananas are quick and easy and unless you peel it and don't eat it right away will stay fresh and won't spoil if not eaten right away, apples are good and provide energy along with the banana because both are complex carbs which equal ENERGY.  As I mentioned earlier, Nutrigrain bars are good and can be eaten by both yourself and your kid(s) and provide excellent nutrients.  A small baggie of raw almonds (serving size), bag of grapes, APEX fit bar (150 calories), Luna bar (also 120-150 calories), carrot sticks, sugar snap peas and a baggie of trail mix (MINUS the M&Ms and sugary fruits...pick those out and just eat the dried banana chips, unsalted cashews and cranberries).  Don't forget your bottled water or bottle of ice water in your car too!

Now if you still don't see anything that you would like to eat that I've listed above...then find your own favorite "go-to" nutrition bar and fruits that don't require refrigeration and throw them into your purse/bags.  As you are driving your kid(s) all over town to their various activities, you need to keep your energy up!

Remember, you are IMPORTANT too!  So don't waste empty drive-thru calories and money on what you could replace with smarter and healthier choice snacks that you can just always keep on you in those moments you realize, "hmmm....I'm hungry, sure glad I have one of my snacks with me."

Hope this helps when you get ready in a couple of hours to start running your kid(s) all over town!  No video this week...but stay tuned for a new one next week!  Feel free to go back to past blogs if you want to check out some fun ways to get your kid(s) involved in fitness, because FITNESS IS FUN!  'Til next time...

Join my blog TODAY if you haven't done so yet.  Thanks for reading!

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment