Thursday, August 16, 2012

HEALTHY BURRITO....FAMISHA STYLE!

Greetings my friends!  So I'm off to a great start of my day, how about you???  I got my son up and ready for another big day of school and just took one of the BEST 90 min HOT (102 degrees) Vinyasa Flow Yoga class...after not having practiced at a yoga studio in 2 years! Let's just say, this yoga instructor made my Bootcamps seem like "La la Land."  It was intense, challenging and de-stressing...I loved it! I'm feeling STRONG and ready to take on the world! I also love the fact that I burned 593 calories too. I love it when people think yoga can't be an intense workout...this class was and I loved it! Okay enough about my amazing workout today and onto to today's topic.

I have been asked by one of my FABULOUS blog followers to share one of my favorite "healthy" recipes with all of you today.  I have decided to share my World Famous Famisha Burrito Recipe that my husband absolutely LOVES when I make it.

Ready for the recipe???  Here you go!  This particular recipe will make 6 full burritos.  So first thing you want to do is buy WHEAT burrito size tortillas.  Buy one packet of 99% Extra Lean Turkey Meat (Jennie O brand is my favorite).  You will need one green pepper, one red pepper, one yellow pepper, one orange pepper and one white onion.  A can of Red Enchilada sauce...the smaller the can the better.  A container of fresh pico de gallo, packet of McCormick burrito seasoning, low sodium packet of Mexican cheese and some Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Prep by chopping up all four peppers and onions into small squares.  You want each pepper to be at least 1/2 a cup each.  Once you've chopped everything up, put it to the side.  Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.  Next, grab a medium to large sized pan, spray with non-stick Olive Oil spray and put on the stove set at medium to high heat and drop the entire packet of lean turkey meat onto the pan cook thoroughly.  Once meat is 100% brown, drop all the peppers and onion onto the meat and stir.  Drain any possible fat.  Next mix in the packet of burrito seasoning mix with 1 cup of water then stir in about 2 teaspoons of Mrs. Dash for extra seasoning stirring throughout the meat.  Simmer the meat and vegetables for at least 10 minutes.  Once meat and veggies look ready, turn off stove.

Grab a glass pan to put the burritos in.  Place one tortilla into the glass pan and scoop about 1/2 cup of meat w/veggies  the burrito, next mix in about a 1/3 cup of the mexican cheese and fold up.  After every burrito is filled, open the can of red enchilada sauce and pour the entire can over every burrito in the tray.  Next, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of all the burritos.  Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Once complete, remove from the oven and lastly scoop a 1/2 cup of pico de gallo on top of each burrito and enjoy a LOW CAL, LOW SODIUM delicious burrito!

One serving size burrito is only 350 calories.  It's a healthy way to still enjoy mexican food while being able to control how many calories, fat and sodium you consume.  The sodium intake is around 340 mg so keep that in mind in your allowance of 2400 mg a day.  If you're feeling like a cocktail with your burrito...open up a bottle of Skinnygirl White Peach Margarita and enjoy a 35 calorie drink over ice in a low ball glass, CHEERS and BON APPETITE!

Next week, I will give you another one of my favorite healthy recipes.  Thanks as always for reading my blog and have a HAPPY, HEALTHY week!!  Join my blog as a follower today if you haven't done so yet or sign up for it to be emailed to you.   Tomorrow, I will post pics of the proper form of performing a lunge along with the latest "Fitness is Fun with your Kids!" video.  So stay tuned...

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!! Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome Amy...enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete