Thursday, January 26, 2012

FITNESS TIP OF THE DAY: FOAM ROLL! FOAM ROLL! FOAM ROLL!

Good morning Fitness Friends and soon to be Fitness Friends!  I have just completed an AWESOME 90 minute workout and am excited to enjoy a beautiful, sunny 75 degree day with my son Pry'nce.  Before I go out and enjoy the day, I want to talk to you about something that is truly important to your fitness routine which is to FOAM ROLL.  Yes, my fitness tip of the day is to FOAM ROLL...

What is foam rolling and why is it so important???  Foam rolling is a form of stretching which in technical terms is called Self-myofascial Release.  Now I like to tell my clients to think of it as a "deep tissue massage."  The only difference is it is done with an actual foam roller which can either be a long one or a short one.  They come in various colors such as black, green, white, hot pink, gray, purple and orange...

Foam rolling is a MUST in every exercise routine.  There are many questions regarding "when" to foam roll.  Before you foam roll, you definitely want to be alittle warmed up.  My suggestion is to do 5 to 10 minutes of cardio to get the blood flowing and then do alittle foam rolling before you do your weight resistance training, bootcamp class, spinning, running, plyometrics or whatever exercise program you are going to do for the day.  After you complete your workout, I suggest foam rolling again.  It will help alleviate some of the soreness you can feel after a workout.

How do I foam roll?  Well, you want to apply the foam roller on your tight areas and HOLD the foam roller on that tight spot for 30-60 seconds.  Do NOT roll it up and down...you must hold it on that area and BREATHE.  Believe me, you will start to feel heat go to that tight area and slowly feel your muscle loosen up.  Definitely try and foam roll everyday or at least everyday that you exercise.  Your body will thank you!

Today's video blog is actually my son Pry'nce and I showing you how to foam roll.  We demonstrate on the most common tight areas...Glutes (butt), Lats (side of your upper body starting at your arm pit), Hamstrings (back of thighs), Quadriceps (top of thighs) and IT band (side of your thigh...most common tight area on women).  Please watch and add this into your daily routine...you will feel much better!!  Enjoy the video!
Thanks for watching and please join as a FOLLOWER if you enjoy my fitness blog!

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

2 comments:

  1. Pry'nce!! He's so cute he swears he's your trainer hahaha. Thanks for this video I have been foam rolling the wrong way now I know the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Carrie, he likes to think he is my trainer! But I'm happy he enjoys fitness so much. I'm glad you found the video helpful, thanks for your feedback and happy foam rolling! Stay Fit and Happy!
    Famisha :-)

    ReplyDelete