Thursday, November 3, 2011

What's so GREAT about fruit anyway?!

Good afternoon my friends!  Hope everyone is having as good of a Fabulously Fit Fall Thursday as myself.  How can you not be active with such beautiful weather outside???  Okay, enough about the gorgeous afternoon...let me get right into today's blog.  Well, one of my awesome blog followers asked me to talk about fruit and make suggestions on the ones I enjoy and why...so here you go!

Here are my TOP 15...I promise to be brief because I'm sure you're thinking what's so exciting about fruit and why is Famisha always telling me to get 3 to 5 servings of this stuff a day?  Well, here's the WHAT and the WHY!

Apples, serving size of 1 apple is only 81 calories and is a great anti-oxidant that helps regulate blood sugar, not to mention it's a good carb!  Apricots..yummy!  Serving size of 1 is ONLY 16 calories and is also a powerful anti-oxidant which is packed with lots of Vitamin A.  Banana is my next favorite (any and everyone has seen me eat at least one to two of these a day...I love them!) one banana is 108 calories and what I love about this fruit is it's the BEST source of potassium...the average banana contains 467mg of potassium and ONLY 1mg of sodium plus it's high in fiber and helps prevent high blood pressure!

Okay, so I just gave you my first three fruits that I highly recommend...here are 5 more.  Blueberries are only 81 calories for one cup and have thee HIGHEST anti-oxidant capacity among fruit.  It's also said to improve memory which helps if you tend to be as scatter brained as myself!  Studies also show that blueberries (along with other berries) have favorable impact on blood sugar regulation in people already diagnosed with blood sugar problems.  Cantaloupe is next...1 cup is only 56 calories and it is an excellent source of Vitamin A, please make sure you wash the outside BEFORE cutting it open.  Cranberries are only 46 calories for 1 cup and contain Vitamin C and lots of Fiber...for you women out there, cranberries help protect against those horrible UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections).  Now some of you may think this next fruit is gross, but I love it...Grapefruit!  A half of grapefruit is only 36 calories and it's rich in Vitamin C not to mention it also helps your immune system.  Then there's Grapes (which most people see me snacking on in between clients during the day).  They are only 61 calories for 1 cup and listen up...if you have a trainer like myself telling you to step up your servings of fruit a day, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...are you paying attention???  45 to 60 grapes counts as 3 FRUIT SERVINGS!!!  So go crazy my friends!

Are you starting to understand what's so great about fruit???  I hope so, here are my last 7.  Kiwi is only 46 calories for 1 piece and get this, has MORE Vitamin C than an orange!!!  It's also another great anti-oxidant and is a good source of dietary fiber.  Speaking of Orange, you guessed it...it's next!  As most of you already know, an orange is a great source of Vitamin C not to mentiona good snack and is only 61 calories.  Do I really need to tell you it's a great anti-oxidant and helps the immune system?  If so, I just did.  Papayas are next, now they are 118 calories for 1 piece but get this, they are an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin A which are 3 very powerful anti-oxidants.  A papaya is also a great source of Fiber which lowers high cholesterol levels.  Pineapples are next (yummy!!)  It's 75 calories for 1 cup and also is a good source of Thiamin and Vitamin B...it's also a great immune support with the Vitamin C it contains.  Raisins are another good HIGH ENERGY low fat snack fruit.  It's 108 calories for /25 cup and is also a good anti-oxidant.  One of my favorites that you hear me talk about alot is Strawberries.  Strawberries are only 43 calories for 1 cup is one of the best fruit sources of Vitamin C as well as an anti-oxidant and inflammatory nutrient.  Lastly is Watermelon, it's only 48 calories for 1 cup and is also a great source of Vitamin C and Vitamin A.

Does this make you want to go out to the grocery store and get yourself some fruit?!  I hope so!  These are not only delicious snacks that you can eat throughout the day but extremely healthy as well.  And if you get thirsty, drink some water and squeeze a lemon in it!  Lemons are refreshing and are only 30 calories for 1/2 a cup.  Couldn't help it, had to squeeze one more fruit in!  But you ask and you shall receive, so there's my take on fruit and my top 15 ones, okay 16 to choose from.  Hope this helps!

Now let's get into today's video.  Today we're chillin things out a bit and showing you how to do Yoga with your kids.  This is great for your mind, body and soul.  Plus, your kids will enjoy it too and it strengthens, relaxes and calms you all at the same time!  Enjoy!

Thanks for your support!  If you enjoyed my blog and haven't done so yet, JOIN TODAY as a blog follower!  Enjoy the rest of your week and take some time to do something positive for your health and fitness...NAMASTE.
As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment