Thursday, May 10, 2012

WHAT DOES MUSCLE SORENESS MEAN????

Happy Healthy day to YOU my friends!  It's another gorgeous day and I decided to take a quick break in my beautiful morning to blog to you my friends before I go back out and enjoy this 80 degree day with my son Pry'nce.  So what's today's topic??  Well, one of my fabulous blog followers has asked the question:  What does muscle soreness mean and when is it too much?

Here's my quick answer to a very good question....before I explain to you what muscle soreness is, let me first say DON'T BE ALARMED if you are a NEW exerciser and are feeling muscles you didn't realize you had screaming "really??!  you just HAD to do all those lunges yesterday?!"  Where you of course answer back to your leg muscles yelling at you "why yes I did...that's why I can wear skinny jeans and cute shorts, so YOU'RE WELCOME legs!"

Here's the deal, "delayed" onset muscle soreness is a normal response to unusual exertion and is also part of an adaption process that leads to GREATER stamina AND strength as your muscles recover and build.  So being "sore" after a workout is a good thing!  Usually, most soreness isn't truly felt until around the 2nd day after you've worked your muscles really hard and to that I say...don't give up!  Continue to work hard and introduce your muscles to a stretching, flexibility, foam rolling program because it will definitely help you recover better from either beginning a new exercise program or an increase in your intensity level.

Now to answer when it's TOO MUCH is if you feel stabbing sharp pain rather than an annoying reminder of the 90 minute Hatha Yoga class you just had to try for the first time yesterday...it's more than just muscle soreness.  It could actually be a tear, sprain or pulled muscle.  You do not have to feel like you can't lift your arms or bend over to feel you got a "great workout."  Feeling sore is good but feeling pain is not.

So what did you learn today???  Fitness is fun and if you push yourself to a point where you find yourself a little bit uncomfortable during your exercise...then you are on the RIGHT TRACK to obtaining the RESULTS that you want!  And why is that...because Hard Work is What it Takes!!

Today's video clip is me and my son Pry'nce showing our favorite exercises for the month of May.  Do these exercises 3 times a week and you will find yourself on your way to a leaner, toner YOU!  Be sure to do 3 sets of 10-15 reps if you are a beginner if you are more of an advanced exerciser, then step up your reps to 20-30 reps each...and have fun!  You're on your way to RESULTS!
Thanks for ready and watching my fitness blog!

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment