Thursday, December 1, 2011

PORTION CONTROL DURING THE HOLIDAYS!!

Good morning fitness friends!  Hope all of you had a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday and are preparing for this month's fun holiday season.  I myself will be taking my son Pry'nce to see Santa today...fun day ahead!  However before I do that, I would love to talk about something that I was chatting about with one of my loyal blog followers yesterday at the gym...PORTION CONTROL.

So I know during this time of year, we all go to a lot of Holiday parties.  If you work in an office, I'm sure there's constant pastries, cakes, donuts, holiday candy and potlucks happening like there's no tomorrow.  Well, I'm not going to tell you what you'd expect to hear coming from a Personal Trainer which is DON'T EAT IT.  The resaon I'm not going to say that is because I know that it is easier said than done and I have a huge success rate with clients because I teach them MODERATION not DEPRIVATION.

Portion control my friends!  To keep yourself from getting out of control this holiday season so you don't join the other MILLIONS of people out there in January who decide that January is the month they FINALLY decide to get in shape...you are gonna get your jumpstart on the New Year NOW!    So here are some examples of how to measure out your portions so you can enjoy yourself at all the festivities you'll be attending probably starting THIS upcoming weekend.

A "medium" potato is the equivalent of a computer mouse, a "medium sized" piece of fruit or vegetable is the equivalent of a tennis ball, one fourth cup of dried fruit or raisins is a golf ball, an Average bagel is the same size as a hockey puck, pancake or slice of bread should be the same size of a dvd, cup of fruit should be the size of a baseball, cup of lettuce is actually four leaves, 3 ounces of cooked meat or poultry is the same size of a cassette tape (don't act like you don't remember those!!), 3 ounces of grilled fish (yummy) is the size of your checkbook, 1 ounce of cheese is the same as four dice, 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine is the size of a postage stamp, 1 tablespoon of salad dressing is the same as the tip of your thumb, 1 ounce of nuts or CANDIES is 1 SMALL handful and finally 1 ounce of chips or pretzels is 1 LARGE handful.

I hope these examples help and if you're still interested in more eating tips, I can go into more detail in next week's blog in substitutions for simple everyday things that we eat as well.  But for today, try to use my examples when you get ready to DIG into that holiday candy dish. 

Now, let's get into today's video blog...we're taking you outside today.  Bundle up and go to one of your green belts in your neighborhood TODAY and have fun with your kid(s).  You'll burn some calories and won't feel so guilty after you enjoy that special treat you have sitting in your house that you "only" eat during the holiday season.  I hope you enjoy it!

Hope you enjoyed today's video and fitness blog.  If you haven't done so yet, JOIN TODAY as a follower.  Feel free to leave any comments and questions you may have.  Thanks for checking out my blog!

As Always...Stay Fit and Happy!
Famisha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment